Sunday, March 12, 2006

Get out of the crowd

It has been almost 6 months since I came to London... I look back and I can’t believe it. It is amazing how fast time flies. Especially when you’re working: Week after week, you spend all your day seating in front of a pc, come home and sleep. Weekend is crazy: finally some time to do whatever I feel like! But in a blink, it’s gone, and Monday arrives again bringing another whole week with it.

This time in London has already been a worthwhile lesson. So many new things, so many new people, so many new experiences. It has been difficult to get used to this rhythm of living, where I barely have the time to breathe. Don’t get me wrong… I’m really enjoying my job. Finding it very hard, but quite challenging. I’m learning loads and not only about Investment Banking – I’ve learnt that most of it is about people, a test to how flexible you can be to be able to deal with people who are so different from you, maintaining your own values and principles.

But it scares me that only now I have started to settle down. 6 months have passed and I haven’t stopped! I haven’t got used to not having time to myself as I used to. And as I realize that, I get scared. Scared of being dragged by the flow…


I believe that if you don’t set yourself the time to STOP and think you’ll end up by being dragged by the flow… doing things just because. If so, you’re in danger! Sooner or later you will realize that you’ve lost the sense in what you do; you won’t know where you’re going or why you’re going. In that case, what’s the point in going, then? You become just one more among the crowd, having lost your identity, that unique characteristic which distinguishes each and every one of us.

STOP and pray…Lent is a special time to do so and will definitely try to do it.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gostei muito deste teu momento poético! :)
Cada vez mais me apercebo que é mesmo fundamental pararmos um bocadinho e relembrarmo-nos do nosso "nada"!
Beijinhos
Mirita

ChiCa said...

Olááá!!! Portantos nem sei bem como tenho A lata de comentar aqui!!! Desculpa a falta de notícias e de agradecimentos (again) pelo fantástico acolhimento en tu casita londrina!Espero que continues bem! e a partir de hoje vou ser uma assidua leitora do STOP!

Beijinhos muito grandes Mary Nolas e muitas desculpas que não há para esta tua amiga indecente!!!

Chica

Maria said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Maria said...

Es a MAIOR Belita!!!

Maria said...

Oh Minha querida Xinita... QUE AMOR!!!!Obrigada pelas palavras tao queridas!

Anonymous said...

Ó Adelaide,
continuamos à espera dos teus comentários...
Boa posta Nolinhas!!continua!!